Minor Injuries Unit
We can treat a range of minor injuries at our West Berkshire Community Hospital without an appointment.
You don’t need to book an appointment to visit our minor injuries unit.
Once you’ve registered, our nurse and paramedic practitioners aim to see you within four hours. Last year, we were able to treat 99.22% of patients within this time.
If we’re not able to treat you at the unit, we’ll direct you to the right service or healthcare professionals that can.
Our unit can help with the following:
- Allergic reactions, e.g. wasp stings and food allergies
- Bites and bruises
- Most cuts and lacerations, including some facial cuts
- Dislocated toes and fingers
- Emergency contraception for women over 14 years
- Falls where there isn’t loss of consciousness (for falls with loss of consciousness, visit the local Accident & Emergency department or call 999)
- Foreign bodies
- Uncomplicated fractures
- Some head injuries
- Minor injuries to eyes and ears
- Minor burns
- Minor injuries after a road accident, e.g. neck strain, cuts and bruises
- Minor sports injuries
- Sprains and strains
If you’re not sure your illness or injury is serious enough for the unit, please make an appointment with your GP first.
If your GP has referred you for an X-ray, you should come straight to our X-ray department between 9am and 3.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Your results will be sent to your GP afterwards.
You don’t need to be referred or book an appointment to use our Minor Injuries service. Just visit our unit between 8am and 10pm, Monday to Sunday.
If you’ve already seen your GP and have a referral letter, please bring it with you.
Our department is open to minor injuries practitioners such as emergency nurse practitioners from Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.
We also run an out of hours, on-call service for urgent investigations.
You can visit our Minor Injuries Unit at the following times.
|8am - 10pm||8am - 10pm||8am - 10pm||8am - 10pm||8am - 10pm||8am - 10pm||8am - 10pm|
On Christmas day, our Minor Injuries Unit is open from 10am to 6pm.