We work with children and young people aged 0 to 19 years, their families and the children’s workforce to support development and improve the chances of them living a fulfilling life.
We provide Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Speech and Language Therapy and Specialist Dietetics services throughout Berkshire.
Our therapists take into account a child’s potential and specific needs when assessing their physical and communication skills. This includes providing support and training for carers and professional staff.
- Children’s Occupational Therapists - specialise in self-care and play activities to help increase independence, enhance development and prevent disability.
- Children’s Physiotherapists - specialise in the assessment and treatment of children with difficulties that affect their motor development (movement) and functional performance (ability to carry out daily tasks).
- Children’s Speech and Language Therapists - specialise in the assessment and support of children who have speech, language and communication difficulties that their ability to interact and learn.
- Children’s Dieticians – offer advice on nutritional intake for children and young people who are not able to consume enough nutrients through eating food orally and might also require tube (enteral) feeding.
How to access CYPIT
We provide easy access to our services through a single point of entry – the Berkshire Healthcare Health Hub. The Health Hub will lead you to the best care and support for children and young people with development needs. Our integrated approach provides a straightforward experience for families, professionals and commissioners. Most importantly, it provides the right type of support at the right time for all children.
By coming together, therapies are aiming to enhance our current provision, working more efficiently in partnership to ensure that children and young people receive the support that they need to thrive and achieve.
Anyone can contact us for advice, but we will require consent from children’s parents/guardians if a face-to-face appointment is requested.
Our Dieticians accept referrals from Paediatricians. If, during initial conversations, we recommend your child attends a Physiotherapy or Occupational therapy assessment we will ask you to arrange for a referral from your GP or Paediatrician.
You can use either of the methods below to make a referral to or ask for advice from the CYPIT team:
Call the Berkshire Healthcare Heath Hub on 0844 406 0979
- Email a referral form to Bksfirstname.lastname@example.org. You can download a CYPIT referral form here
What happens when you contact us?
A trained Berkshire Healthcare Foundation Trust Call Handler will ask you for your details and what you are concerned about so that they can direct you to the right service for you. The questions they will ask will enable them to complete the referral form on your behalf so they can advise you about the next steps.
If you are ringing for advice they will put you through to our dedicated advice line where you will have the chance to speak to a therapist. The advice line opening hours are:
- Monday 8.30 to 12.30
- Wednesday 13.00 to 17.00
- Friday 8.30 to 12.30
When you speak to a therapist we will discuss your concerns and ask for information about your child’s development. We often direct you to our online toolkit so that you can find supportive information to help your child.
If it is appropriate, we might suggest that you bring your child in to see us at a location in your local area. We work closely with schools and families to identify and agree goals for children that are meaningful to them and their family and which meet their specific needs.
Our integrated approach means that all appropriate specialists are involved in your child’s development. Linking all relevant areas of development and therapy into a single, tailor-made plan for the child or young person makes it as manageable and uncomplicated as possible for the child and their family.
You can download the referral form and specific information leaflets through our online toolkit - www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/CYPITtoolkits