search Menu

Veterans' Mental Health and Wellbeing Service (Op COURAGE)

If you’re a military veteran, reservist, or a serving personnel member of the armed forces, we can help you access mental health and wellbeing support.

Op COURAGE, the NHS Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service, is available across the South Central region: Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight and Oxfordshire.

We offer three types of support:

  1. Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS) is the first level of treatment and support for veterans having difficulties with their mental health or emotional wellbeing.
  2. Complex Treatment Service (CTS) is for more complex mental health difficulties related to your military experiences such as PTSD, anger or depression.
  3. High Intensity Service (HIS) works alongside other mental health services e.g. inpatient wards to offer joint support veterans who are in, or at risk of, a mental health crisis.

Click through the sections below to find out more about the help available.

Find out more about how we support veterans healthcare

We’re still available for contact and support, and we’re able to provide appointments via phone or video calls.

We are also offering face to face appointments in some locations.

Whether you’re currently serving, or you left military service some time ago, sometimes your experiences can affect both your mental health and emotional wellbeing.

These difficulties can include:

  • Feeling overwhelmed
  • Worrying too much
  • Low mood
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Problems with moving on from life in the military
  • Controlling anger and frustration
  • Alcohol and drug and gambling issues
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

We can help you spot the signs and get you the treatment and support you need.

Watch our short video to know more about how we can help you: 

Help for more complex or significant difficulties

If you're experiencing significant difficulties related to your time in the military, you may be more suited to more intensive support from our Veteran’s Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS) team.

We can help with more enduring issues such as: controlling anger; depression; more complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

Watch our short video to know more about how we can help you:

What to expect

When you’re referred to us, we’ll arrange an initial assessment with you so that we can get to know you and your situation better.

This could be through a face to face appointment, or online. Our aim is to empower you to move forward with your life and get the support you need.

Depending on your circumstances we may introduce you to other specialist NHS services such as an NHS Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT).

If you're seen by our CTS team, we’ll invite you to a care planning appointment. We'll talk to you about your experiences and create your treatment plan with you.

We offer a phased treatment approach which includes group work and individual sessions, in-person, or by video consultation.

We can guide you to local and national organisations who can help you with other areas of your life, like work, housing, personal relationships, overcoming alcohol dependency, and boosting your general wellbeing.

We also encourage family members to be involved in your care, and can help them find support for their needs too.

High Intensity Service (HIS)

Our high intensity service works alongside other community and inpatient mental health services. 

We help military veterans who are experiencing, or at risk of, a crisis - and to their families.

Our team includes both clinicians and trained peer support workers who either have a military background themselves or are highly experienced in supporting veterans.

They can offer veteran specific knowledge and understanding to help people engage well in mainstream mental health services and access help from other specialist organisations to help them recover.

This support is offered on a short-term basis and cases are reviewed after 12 weeks.

This is not a crisis service service. If you need urgent help for your mental health see our 'Urgent support' drop-down tab below.

We're open to anyone who has served in the armed forces community regardless of length of time served, rank or reason for leaving.

This includes:

  • Former members of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force 
  • Reservists who are not currently mobilised
  • Those who have served in the Merchant Navy in support of military operations
  • Those who have served their National Service
  • Former members of the Territorial Army


If you’re an armed forces veteran, you can refer yourself, or ask a family member to refer you, if you:

  • Are a resident in England
  • Have served in the UK armed forces for a full day
  • Are registered with a GP practice in England or be willing to register with a GP
  • Are able to provide your military service number or another form of acceptable proof of eligibility. 

Serving personnel

If you’re currently serving in the armed forces and looking for support, you must be a resident in England, and have an identified mental health condition.

You must also meet one of the following criteria:

  • Have a discharge date from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) or be found to be unfit for continued military service by their medical board; OR
  • Have been identified by the Departments of Community Mental Health as requiring follow on psychiatric care on discharge from the MoD; OR
  • Have had a pre-release medical and been identified by your DMS GP as requiring mental health transition support; OR
  • Have had a pre-release medical before you self-refer 

Make a referral 

If you meet the criteria for either a veteran or a serving personnel member (see 'Who our service is for' above), you can refer yourself directly. 

You can also contact your GP or health professional to refer you.

Call 0300 365 2000 (option 4) 

To send us an email referral, download and complete the form below and email it on to us. 

Open referral form (pdf)

Make a referral to the High Intensity Service

If you are health or care professional treating a veteran, we can work with you to give further veteran specific support to help them engage in their treatment and recover well.

To refer, you can:

You will need the consent of the person you are referring and their service number before you refer.

This is not a crisis service service. If you need urgent help for your mental health see our 'Urgent support' section below.

Get advice about a referral

You can also contact us for advice before making a referral:

Call 0118 214 3262 (9am-5pm, Mon-Fri)




We provide treatment and support across the South Central region:

  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • Hampshire & the Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire

Depending on your needs, we can offer you a face to face appointment within 25 miles of your home address.

We typically arrange face to face appointments in local GP clinics and community venues such as local health centres or charity offices.

We also work in partnership with Avon and Wiltshire Partnership across the South West, including Wiltshire, Dorset, Gloucestershire, South Gloucestershire, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset, Bath and North East Somerset.

Our team is available for contact between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

If you contact us outside of these times, we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.

**Christmas and New Year: our offices are closed on bank holidays and will be closing at the earlier time of 4pm on both Friday 24 December and Friday 31 December**

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm Closed Closed


If you feel that you need urgent help:

Call NHS 111 

Remember to tell the person you speak to you have served in the armed forces, so they can provide the right support.

If you, or someone you know is in immediate risk of harm:

Call 999  


We have four videos, covering Sleep Hygiene, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Grounding, and Depression.

Sleep Hygiene 




Watch our short videos to hear what clients have to say about our service.