School Nurses provides the following services to children and their families attending state maintained schools/ free schools and Academy schools in Slough, Bracknell Forest, Wokingham, Reading and West Berkshire:
- Height and weight measurement for all children in Reception year and year 6 as part of the National Childhood Measurement Programme (NCMP)
- Hearing screening for children in Reception year
- Vision screening for children in Reception year for children attending schools in Slough and Bracknell Forest
- Vision screening for children attending schools in Wokingham, Reading and West Berkshire is undertaken by Orthoptist teams from the Royal Berkshire Hospital
- Health questionnaires for all children in Reception year
- Support and health advice to families with children and young people of school age on a range of health topics including:
- Long-term medical conditions such as asthma, epilepsy and acute allergy
- Bedwetting (nocturnal enuresis), which includes advice on toilet training and use of nappies, drinking patterns, bed wetting alarms and medical therapies
- Behavioural / emotional difficulties
- Working with other health services to ensure children and young people with non-complex needs or disabilities get the specialist services they need
- The SN teams work closely with children and young people who have been identified as in need of safeguarding or Looked After by the Local Authority.
For children starting school in Reception year, a School Nursing information pack is sent to each child’s parent or carer’s home introducing the School Nursing service. It includes a letter to parents or carers outlining the screening and National Childhood Measurement Programme (NCMP) process, a health questionnaire and a School Nursing service leaflet. After the session with Reception year children, parents or carers will receive a copy of the results. Where further advice and support is needed the School Nursing team will write to each parent or carer offering on-going support.
All Year 6 children are offered the opportunity to participate in the NCMP programme and parents and carers are contacted by letter if their child falls outside the healthy weight range.
We provide locally designed School Nursing services in Slough, Bracknell Forest, Wokingham, Reading and West Berkshire. We can refer to other services such as General Practitioner, Speech and Language, Audiology, Children’s Services, Children Adolescent Mental Health Services, Talking Therapies, Paediatricians, Social Services as well as voluntary services where needed.
The School Nursing service is closely aligned to the School Immunisation Service, who deliver immunisations across all state maintained/free/Academy, special and independent schools within all 6 unitary authorities. The service also links with Paediatric Nurses who work in the special schools.
Referrals are not required for the routine elements of the service (NCMP and Hearing and Vision Screening). However referrals are required for non-routine services such as the bedwetting clinic.
To contact your local team:
Slough 01753 – 635041 Slough.email@example.com
Bracknell Forest 01344 – 309579 Bracknellforest.firstname.lastname@example.org
Wokingham 0118 949 5055 bks-tr.CSNWokingham@nhs.net
Reading 0118 938 2145 bks-tr.CSNReading@nhs.net
West Berkshire 01635 – 273384 bks-tr.CSNWestBerks@nhs.net