CYPIT: Occupational Therapy
In our Children and Young People's Integrated Therapy (CYPIT) services, we offer an integrated approach to assessment and care planning so that the right people are involved in assessing you or your child and supporting you to achieve your goals.
We are a team of Occupational Therapists who specialise in enabling children and young people to participate as fully as possible in the activities of everyday life. We can help your child if they find everyday activities such as dressing, feeding, handwriting and, socialising and play difficult, due to a problem with their fine motor, co-ordination skills, perception skills and/or sensory processing (ability to make sense of the world around them).
If you have concerns or want to know more about normal child development, you can find information and strategies to try at home or in school on our CYPIT toolkits.
Our aim is to support children and young people to become as functionally independent as possible and able to interact with their peers and environment to play, learn and take part in daily activities.We do this by:
- Providing training and advice for parents/carers and other individuals supporting your child (e.g. education staff)
- Providing recommendations, strategies, and/or programmes of activities to be carried out to support your child in a range of different environments
- Providing advice and recommendations for specialist equipment (splints, sensory strategies, adapted cutlery, writing aids, specialist seating, switches and plates.)
- Contributing to Educational Healthcare plans and transition planning
- Providing direct therapy with your child individually or in a group when needed
We work closely in partnership with children/young people, parents, carers, education staff and a range of professionals to help your child achieve the goals that we have agreed with you.